An epic voyage that requires provisions like tarps and wool blankets, an emergency escape plan and excessive use of a Spanish phrase book...
It all begins with Cap'n Felix. We meet him at the Puno dock. I insist on seeing his fisherman license. I don't know why - I can't read Spanish and after a week in Peru I'm not really sure a license of any sort in this country means anything. But somehow it makes me feel better. And what's not to trust about a smile like this?So we pile into his boat (a term I use liberally), with all of our luggage.
He rows to his home - a floating reed island. We meet his mother, daughter, and wife. OF course, we buy excessive amounts of handicrafts from them. As we do so, we notice that Cap'n F is screwing a motor to the back of his rowboat. But we've seen his license so we aren't worried and pile back into his boat.After 20 mins, we enter open water. At that point we ask, "how far to AmantanĂ?" (where we are staying the night). "Four hours", he answers without pause. Um, I'm sorry...
Allison and I start to plan for our imminent demise. We decide that when we capsize we will save her phone. She has paid her bill *and* it roams internationally - a winning combo. Before hypothermia sets in we will both have time for a quick call to our mothers.
I then notice that the strong gasoline smell is coming from his "tank" which turns out to be a RC cola 2 liter bottle from which he is syphoning off fuel. I'm not sure if I am relieved or dismayed. I decide upon relief since we are still moving forward(ish).Possessing no useful skills, Allison and I find that we can only sit. Or should I say huddle. Watch the sun set. And hope that RC cola bottle lasts. As luck would have it we stave off hypothermia. Cap'n F's bailing keeps us afloat. The RC cola petrol lasts. We gratefully dock...Only to turn around the next day and do it all over again as we return voyage back.
6 comments:
What a great story, Rachel! You tell it well. Sounds like you are having all kinds of adventures in Peru.
Good thing your mom did not know about the boat ride until it was a done deal. Sounds like an adventure.
Rachel's mom didn't know specifically about the boat, but Rachel's mom does know Rachel and so prayed HARD every day that Rachel (and Anna who is in a foreign country right now driving a rental car) would be safe and come home. Going adventuring is a fine thing, but coming home safe... that is a fine thing, too.
I don't know what to say about that. Sounds just a bit more interesting than hanging out at home. Glad you didn't drown.
Best story ever. The only possible way to improve would have been to actually type out the word "Titicaca" instead of just saying "lake."
Rachel, i'm so glad to be able to live vicariously through your adventures. I always feel like I'm reading an action adventure, or maybe a sci-fi, or thriller. In any case, i'd love to visit you next time you're back for more than a day or two in VA!
Post a Comment