I finally did it. I finally (don't ask) got a Virginia Drivers License. I entered the
DMV at 4:57pm. I was given Number A98. Window A was at Number 68. I found a comfy plastic chair to wait it out. I fell asleep. I was woken up by a guard, "
m'am,
m'am..." Window A was at Number 87. I fell asleep again. Number A98 was finally called. I went up to the counter. A very crabby lady requested my paperwork. I spread my life in front of her:
- birth certificate (1st proof of identity)
- passport (2nd proof of identity)
- unexpired drivers license (in lieu of...sigh...copy of your driving record)
- utility bill (proof of address)
- social security card (3rd proof of identity)
And, just for good measure, I brought along my original mortgage papers, pay stub (especially mailed by HR), another utility bill, credit card statement, my mom and dad, my 3rd grade teacher Mrs
Gilroy (or was it
Gilman?)...turns out you need less paperwork to buy a house than successfully apply for drivers license (which may explain something about the state of our economy).
But I digress: crabby lady. She complained to me that her shift ended an hour ago. I empathized, "oh so sad" (never anger a government bureaucrat). She fussed, sorted papers, fussed some more. Finally, she told me to sit down in front of the
camera. I smiled. She took my photo. She then told me that I couldn't show teeth. She retook my picture. At 6:02pm I left the
DMV. The very last person.

And this is how I ended up with a VA drivers license that seconds as a mug shot.
6 comments:
great license photo
WHA? No teeth? Is this some kind of strange government trick? Or just an overworked employee getting a little laugh for her Friday night?
I saw a video a while back that was about a parking garage attendant and the power of a smile, and one person he tried to get to smile was the DMV worker. repeatedly. I can't find the video though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk980jV7Ao
I found it under "validation" at youtube. Check it out DMV lovers.
Does that mean I have to get rid of my VA license for a CA one now to somehow balance the cosmic forces?
PS In CA you have to take a written driving test in addition to all the paperwork, hence I still have my VA one.
I hate the no teeth rule! we all have mug shots here in our great state. my daughter thinks mine looks scary. I'm with her! : )
Post a Comment