Thursday, February 14, 2008

Great Expectations

I hate to post too much, it makes me feel like an exhibitionist. But in honor of Valentine's Day...

Dear Men In My Life,

Yesterday my colleague got her hair cut and highlighted at an Abu Dhabi salon. Her hairdresser has a friend who works as a florist at an Abu Dhabi flower shop. This florist filled an order this week for 500 roses DIPPED in PURE GOLD at the not-too-shabby price of 500 dirhams per rose for an Emirate customer. This comes to $68,000 US dollars. Apparently you can put a value on tru luv. A girl hears these things and starts to get ideas...

Of course, this comes off a week where one of the men in my life, Uncle Booz, took me and some colleagues to the Burj Al Arab, http://www.burj-al-arab.com/, a 7 star and utterly fahhabulous hotel in Dubai, dhharling. At the 27th floor Skyview Bar, I had what amounted to basically a $30 fruit smoothie. I managed to repress all the Kentucky in me and not take a picture of the page in the menu with the $16,500 dirham drink (that's $4583.33 USD), which I now deeply regret.

Anyhow, all this high living and brushes with high living have set a high standard of expectations in me of you. And I now consider all of you duly warned.

With love,
Rachel

5 comments:

Kaedi said...

Oh Rachel, the day you stop posting is the day I stop getting on the world wide web. Hilarious! I'm LOVING these documented adventures. Keep living the high life, you know, for the rest of us stuck at home. My Valentine's Day celebration culminated in some Costco Salmon and a TiVO'd LOST episode.

Greg and Tammy said...

Rach - I'd by you a $4500 dirham drink ANYTIME - you don't need no stinkin' man. :)

Dave said...

OK seriously, I thought you were going there for 2-3 weeks. Have you completely relocated. I say it again: I want your job (or at least the travel perks). So cool. I love catching the updates. Keep them coming. Oh, and by the way - cool widgets on the blog (slides, music, etc..). Nice.

susan said...

So, you're going to bring me back a gold-dipped rose, right? Because otherwise, why would you taunt me by making me aware of something so very sparkly, and then not getting it for me?

MBK said...

"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world." Walt Whitman

Some of the rest of you may have wondered what "yawping" was all about. I googled it tonight. How appropriate that it is an allusion to Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass." Whitman starts out by saying, "I loafe and invite my soul, I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass.
Thanks, Rachel for letting us share in your loafing and observing. Yawp away.