Camp Hope is a very hopeful name indeed as it is an elementary school that was flooded to the second floor during Katrina and now lacks, um, certain ammenities. Now, Habitat for Humanity uses it to house Katrina rebuild volunteers - the classrooms are bedrooms, the front office a camp store, the gym supply room a laundry and so on.
And so in short order I found myself bedded in with 14 of my new best friends - the "Blue Hens for Christ" of Delaware. I couldn't help but overhear them discuss the fact that when they wear makeup they "like, totally, like look 21 or 22."
The bemusement continued when I donned my flip flops and made my way to the shower room (15 showers, 2 sinks, 4 toilets and no operating outlets) where I again listened to conversations that soon transported me back 13 years to dear Helaman Halls.
And so I now find myself eating cafeteria food, carrying all my bathroom stuff in baskets and using my trunk as a chest of drawers. A change of pace from last year's "home sweet home" (do allow yourself to weep at the contrast).

But it's a welcome change. New Orleans, gladly I'll sleep on a bad mattress with snoring neighbors to don jeans, lose the laptop and work up an honestly come-by lunchtime hunger sanding drywall.
7 comments:
Please, do wear clothing to and from the showers. HAHAHAHAH!
I KNOW! It's as if that sign was made for me. How did they ever know????
My OCD side really wanted to show up and mop those floors, ick. What are you doing there right now? You have the most fascinating job!
What a great opportunity! I wish I could be there with you. How long will you be there?
Which bunk was yours? I hope you got the window!
How's that dust feeling in the nostrils? We need a picture of Rachel covered in sheetrock dust...
WOW! Rach you are amazing to do this. Can't wait to hear more stories of your experience and see more pics as you seem to catch all the interesting things. Be safe.
Awesome. It sounds (and looks) a bit like a prison minus all the license plate making.
Post a Comment