Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Make a List Day

I've discovered Louise Plummer. Gosh, I love her blog, and why didn't I take a class from her at BYU? Recently she made a list of "will dos" and "will not dos". They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. Armed with that excuse for flat out copying...

Things I shouldn't do but probably will anyway:

  1. Miss a plane because I get to the airport too late.
  2. Eat food that's been in the fridge for many/multiple days, including food that has been possibly frozen, unfrozen, frozen, unfrozen again...
  3. Use one of my sister's toothbrushes (you've been warned) when mine is MIA.
  4. Drink Diet Coke. Lots.
  5. Be that person to squeeze onto the metro/subway/L/BART when there really isn't room just as the doors are shutting.
  6. Dye my hair.
  7. Cheat at games. And swear here and there.
  8. Huddle with someone to share body warmth in order to "survive" till dawn.
  9. Go to bed without washing my face.
  10. Mix whites and colors.
  11. Drop out of work to find my way to NOLA or the "next NOLA".
  12. Scratch and scratch and scratch mosquito bites until they stop itching, consequences be damned (reference #7).
  13. Skinny dip.
  14. Try to keep all my phone calls to under 1 minute before the bewitching hour of 7pm.
  15. Skip one or another of church meetings #2 or #3.
  16. Forget to pay a bill and then harangue the biller into dismissing the late fee.
  17. Wear heels.
  18. Put a fake meeting on my work Outlook calendar when no such meeting exists to avoid attending another work meeting that really does exist.

Things I have done and will not do again:

  1. Wear a red shirt to Target.
  2. Make my bed.
  3. Cliff jump. No, I don't need to prove anything to you by doing it (I've grown up at least a little over the last decade or so).
  4. Miss brushing my teeth 4 days in a row. That was gross.
  5. Eat a banana. Or shrimp. I tried both again this year. Again, gross.
  6. Ride the Greyhound. Terrifying.
  7. Karaoke. Even more terrifying.
  8. Make referral center outbound calls.
  9. Buy cliff notes at Joseph-Beth on a Sunday.
  10. Embark upon (albeit well-intentioned) credit card fraud with Anna.
  11. Give homeless men money to fix my car before services are rendered. Or to fix my car at all.
  12. Paddle boat.
  13. Go to a Turkish bath with people I have to see again afterwards.
  14. Play Settlers. Or Monopoly. Or chess. Or Risk. You get the idea here.
  15. Get my hair cut at the Hair Cuttery.

8 comments:

ALYN said...

This is pretty funny!

I can't believe you don't eat bananas. I'd love to hear the swearing. Haha!

Jenny said...

I love Louise Plummer! I loved her essays in Thoughts of a Grasshopper. I'm glad you found her blog.....fun to read.

Was she teaching at BYU while we were there? I think I looked for a class by her once or twice and none were offered...but maybe it was just that semester?

Great lists!

Anonymous said...

when you're finished using one of our sister's toothbrushes, consider that you're probably not the first sibling who has "borrowed" it that day. that is all.

Rachel said...

David- are you anonymous??? Ohdear ohdear you just moved that one to the 2nd list...I stated "sisters" as I very strategically select which family toothbrushes to illictly use... this has thrown my analysis ALL off...

Anonymous said...

And here I was going to invite you to a Turkish bath next week. Oh well...

Holli said...

I feel so special that although I've only seen you once in the last 5 years or so, I was witness to the credit card fraud.

Greg and Tammy said...

Oh you just had to throw #9 in there did ya?? Just when my guilt had been minimizing...

Damn you.

Loved the lists. And LOVE YOU!!

Sara said...

I'm so with you on so many of those! Let's go to Turkey again soon!!