Feeling much like my mom and dad when they dropped me off at BYU, we spent the time acquiring the requisite large numbers of plastic junk from Target that always accompany a "move into dorms" day, purchasing the world's ugliest shoes, and enjoying
a last dinner.And when I dropped her off at the page dorms two days later, the mom/dad stand-in in me was most relieved to see her guarded with great care by:
- two 24-hour Capital Hill Policemen stationed by the front door and in between the boys and girls bedroom wings, and
- window screens latticed with touch-sensitive alarm wiring (to "keep people OUT and keep people IN" according to the program administrator).
And, if you'll forgive me and let me be a pretend parent for a minute more, I have to say that being accepted into the Senate Page Program is a really really big deal. Katie is one of only 30 high school juniors from across the country selected to be "Farm Girl" for the US Senate for the next five months. Catch her on C-SPAN during business hours.
[By the way, I would also like to note that I was mistaken for a page not once BUT twice. Still processing that one.]
1 comment:
WOW! That is really great for Katie. What an incredible experience. You Kearls always seem to have a great knack for these amazing adventures. Way to go in the absentee parent role! As soon as you send her decorated socks, chocolate donuts and froot loops, I'll know you are the FOR REAL DEAL. :)
Post a Comment