Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Conversations with TSA

Last week, as I was going through security in Grand Rapids, Michigan, TSA Man asked me, “so, headed out for Spring Break?”

“Excuse me?”, I asked. I must have misheard…

“Spring Break – are you leaving to go somewhere fun?”, he responded.

I did a quick check:
  • Business suit? Check.
  • Black rollerboard suitcase? Check.
  • Laptop and laptop bag? Checkx2.
  • Heels, coat and not wearing a Justin Beiber hoodie? Check, check and double check.
While I pondered what it was about me that looked "spring break" and/or "young enough for spring break", he asked another puzzler, “or are you finishing up Spring Break?”

This question sidestepped me into a whole other train of thought: who on earth goes to Grand Rapids for spring break?  

But, figuring it was all to complicated to bother with I simply responded, “no just headed home.” I suppose someday I’ll no longer look the 25 that my co-workers guessed last night at dinner.

2 comments:

Natalie Cannon said...

LOL! Wow that guy is dumb. I am a little worried if he is suppose to be picking up on cues for potential terrorists. I love when this happens to me. It used to happen all the time and then stopped. I guess lugging a couple kids around gives me away most of the time. In Germany I went to the gas station after working out and the guy ask if I was old enough to drive:) To be fair I was in work out clothes and had my hair in pig tails. He was pretty shocked when I replied that I was in my thirties and had several kids.

Lisa Sanderson said...

Feel flattered. When people find out I have three kids they all assume I'm ten years older than I am...I'd rather they assumed I was on spring break.