That aside, what a fabulous country! Outrageously blue ocean on one side of Muscat which was ringed by "Lord of the Rings"-like mountains on the other side. White stone buildings, brightly colored beautifully tiled mosques, palm trees, 70 degree weather:



We were there only two days (last weekend) but managed to cover 600 km visiting Nizwa, the first Omani capital, and Jebel Shams, the tallest mountain in Oman. That's a lot of driving time (translation = I read almost 200 pages of "Enders Shadow") and about 2 hours of it was spent on this unfortunate dirt road:
The
cultural highlight of the trip was probably our driver, Abudullah. He was, well, extremely pungent (to the point of necessitating the rolling down of windows), but full of all kinds of information, friendly and very chatty. And as you can see by his stylish scarf use, he found the unseasonably cool 70 degrees uncomfortable. Which made my colleague comment that "dressed like that, he looked like a CNN terrorist"...Those of you who know me well know that I'm not much for the hours preceeding 10am, but this seemed worth it:


8 comments:
Okay - so according to "Elliot in the Morning" a muskrat is not small. In fact, their tails are like 2 feet long and their bodies are big enough that when they get threatened, they stand up on their hind legs and growl at people...and cars. Elliot said he was treed by one once - he was too scared to move...
That's funny, I think musket. I guess that's still a Kentucky kind of answer. Also, isn't there an alcohol called muscat? Why do I know so many useless things??
Rachel who? I'm just here to flame your lousy blog.
Hey now, I went to the same high school you did and I know 2+2=3.
Long time no see, send me a note:
KDixon93@hotmail.com
-Kelli Dixon (now it's Kill, but I still have issues with that last name, understandably so, right?)
Sorry I couldn't meet up with you. I love you blog. Seriously, I wish I had your job (or at least the travel perks)!
Have I mentioned, "I want your job - or at least the world travel perks"?
Garrett- you pickin' a fight with me? Watch out or I'll send a musket holding muskrat after you.
Dave, have I told you I want your job? Let's discuss trades...
Kelli! HI! Holy cow... email on its way! Been too long since PLD Bulldogs, stake dances and "Legend Night" at girls camp...
Rachel,
Hey Molly sent me towards your blog, looks like all three of us are living out of the country.
I'm in Germany right now and LOVING it. but more on that later.
How are you enjoying Oman. I was fascinated by my time over in the muslim countries....so different and yet you can find a Starbucks still!!
Shoot me an email
alihawk01@gimail.af.mil
We've gotta catch up.H
Have a good one!!!!
Ali
Post a Comment