Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Thumbs Up Sign

Lucky for me, the "thumbs up" hitch-hiking sign is, apparently, a universal one. Last weekend I found myself in Liwa, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liwa_Oasis, staring up one very large dune called Moreeb Dune wondering where the chair lift was.

I didn't realize we'd be *climbing* it till we got there and so I found myself at the bottom in my slip-on shoes with no backs carrying a cute little red purse. Not exactly hiking equipment...














- After 5 mins I realized that all my fears were, in fact, correct. Hiking in sand, uphill is pretty much a nightmare.
- After 10 mins I pulled off my shoes and started hiking barefoot.
- After 15 mins I started watching the Emirate guys riding their ATVs up and down the dune with increased interest.
- After 20 mins I threw up my thumb as a joke as one ATV guy drove by and was TOTALLY shocked when, at 20.5 mins he turned around and asked me if I wanted a ride up. (Context: Emirates do NOT mix with "non-nationals" - basically they are too cool for school and have no interest in us "heathen hired help.")
- After 22 mins and a very quick, intense internal debate over the wiseness of this course of action, I said yes, yes and more yes.
- After 25 mins, I found myself at the top of the dune following one terrifying ride up a 30+ degree incline. (I do believe he had to pry my hands off of him.)

When we got to the top, my new favorite friend and "taxi" driver, Sweade, took me on a ride along the top of the dune and then back behind the dune. To quote the little kid from "The Incredibles": it was "AWESOME." I've never seen anything like these dunes in my life. It was breathtaking, overwhelming, awe-inspiring. I felt like I was on Mars and I would not have blinked an eye if one of those sand monsters from "Star Wars" had come over the dune's ridge.



And the icing on the cake? That night at the hotel we found ourselves in the hotel bar playing pool and darts. I discovered a latent talent and affinity for darts. Who knew? But I digress, the icing: playing pool with a group of local Emirate men who turned out to be total pool sharks. It was hilarious and, well, pretty "awesome."

9 comments:

david said...

Did anybody break their coccyx out on the dunes?

Joy said...

Wow, that sounds really cool.

annakearl said...

Rachel - I love all the pictures and video - and I REALLY wish that one of those Tonkin Raiders HAD come up the other side of the dune...

Sara said...

LOVE the pics. You and your sandals with your "friend" . . . what a priceless image. You inspire my girls. "I want to go there" said Megan.

Rachel said...

OH, tell Meg to COME! We'll ride camels together :)

Greg and Tammy said...

What a story! You always did have the looks and the legs to get random men to stop and give you a ride! Your adventures are so fun to read.

susan said...

I LOVE your pictures! Also, Anna said "Tonkin" Raiders. Tee hee. A true Star Wars nerd (I mean fan) would know that it's "Tusken", *snorts* sheesh.

Rachel Kearl said...

HAHA, Susan, tres amusante.

annakearl said...

Oh SNAP. Susan, I was merely quoting Rachel's original post...she was the one who got it wrong. (Cue scary Tonkin Raider braying and shaking of hands - slight less scary than their cousins, the Tusken Raiders.)