Friday, January 4, 2008

Two Things

Thing One:
A dear friend surprised me with the book "eat, pray, love" (Elizabeth Gilbert) - it just appeared one day like manna in my mailbox from all the way across the country. By page 14 I was in love with this book and very quickly all my other reads found themselves staring forlornly at me from a pile near my bed, gathering dust and getting cold. But the language is so beautiful, describing God as "breathing right through our hearts", and yet it also makes me laugh out loud.

But onto Thing Two:
Christmas vacation was a grand success. For three days in a row I did not get dressed until 4pm. As a family, I believe we caught up on a winter's worth of sleep:

























And most definitely certain unnamed members of the family drank their body's weight in the following:
All those years of playing computer Hearts finally paid off for Anna, who managed to head off Mom and win the tourney, while I lost miserably, despite cheating. And when we weren't sleeping, eating or breaking a part of the kitchen table by accident with one *really* crazy game of Pit, we read (we are Kearls afterall):


And speaking of reading - I finally read those Vampire romance books. You haven't asked, but I'll tell you what I think of them anyhow: they are completely creepy. I say this with great love since many people I respect very much love these books. But, in a nutshell, it's the story of a 107 year old vampire in the body of a 17 year old boy who loves the way a 17 year old girl smells so much that he wants to eat her but also falls in love with her. Right, don't we all have that problem. The girl, of course, is similarly obsessed with the creepy old/young vampire. It's weird. Oh, and did I mention that her best friend is a werewolf who is in love with her also but is a mortal enemy to the vampire dude. I warned you: weird and creepy.

6 comments:

Kaedi said...

Finally! I have been waiting for someone to come clean about that creepy book series that grown LDS women are completely obsessed with. I read the first one, and thought perhaps I was being too harsh since a TON of people I know and love just adore the book. So instead of actually purchasing the 2nd book I went to B&N and read a few pages sitting on the floor. Um, yeah... NO. Still hate it. I think it is creepy, weird, and I'm not at ALL enthralled with it. Which, by the way, says a lot coming from the girl who stayed inside Fri/Sat night (as a swingin' NY single, btw) to read the Travelling Pants series. Wow. Sorry about the blog post here.

Kaedi said...

Oh and PS, love the last two posts. I kinda wanna go to ID. Am I nuts?

MBK said...

Kaedi, come soon, stay long. I hope you know how to spot Hearts cheaters. There are lots living here.

Rachel Kearl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Kearl said...

HA! I feel SOO validated. Kaedi, I'll take all further comments off-line since they are actually *much* stronger than I allude to in my post and I'd hate to offend all of Mormon womandom between the ages 12 and 54. "Creepy" is my much watered down take on the book...

Joy said...

I completely agree! the main character drove me crazy, the plot sucked (especially in the last one), the vampire she was obsessed with was annoying, and well..I could go on, but I won't.