Seems as though I brought not only a suitcase full of Indian handicrafts back from India with me but also giardia. I won't bother you with the gory details.
But when I was at the pharmacy picking up blessed medicine, I found myself behind a man kicking up a big fuss. He kept throwing money at the pharmacist and waving his arms around, speaking loudly in Arabic about box of Zantac (ok, I snooped while while waiting in line).
I was too curious so when it was my turn I asked the pharmacist what it was all about. He said that the man, from Oman, only wanted to pay the equivalent of 100 dirhams for medicine priced at 125 dirhams. The pharmacist said, "this isn't a souq, we don't bargain here." The Omani just couldn't believe that the price really wasn't negotiable. After nearly 15 mins of negotiating, the pharmacist finally pulled out a sheet of pills and sold him only half the medicine for the 100 dirhams. Oh and by the way, he was trying to pay in Omani Riyhals. It was so outrageously typical of this country, region, whatever. Everything is a negotiation.
On another note...
- a walk-in "no-insurance-pay-in-full-in-cash" exam with a doctor in the best clinic in town: $30
- brand-name medicine: $7
- health care for a song: priceless, and, I have to admit, wont to make a socialist out of a person (have I just lost half of my readership?? ha!)
2 comments:
i'll have to send my bro the link for this. he's in pharmacy school and i'm sure he'll now want to go and practice in uae.
This is Jennifer Crowther's little brother.
Wow . . . The only thing I'm wondering is "what's the salary and do they have good baba ganoush?!?"
Post a Comment