Monday, October 27, 2008

I Know You

Last weekend...

I ditch the taxi at the curb shouting, "I'll be right back." I run to the Abu Dhabi airport doors. I pull at the sliding doors in an attempt to pry them open faster. I jump a rope. I run through the security x-ray thing. I run to the counter. I throw my passport on the counter and say, "I'm here, I'm here, I'm here." It is 59 minutes before my plane leaves.

The man at the counter looks at me and says, "You are often late." I realize that it is Mohamed and he checked me in 10 days earlier when I ran the same airport Olympic trial - arriving 62 minutes before my plane was set to leave. He then told me I should "practice" arriving earlier.

How embarassing. Although not enough so to change my behavior. I really don't like sitting around in airports. I am, after all, my father's daughter.

5 comments:

Don and Robin Cooper said...

You are so funny! Girl...you sure do get around! That didn't sound good did it? :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, so much like your father who once grumbled as I pushed him out the door (this was before security issues required earlier check ins), "Damn it, if I have to waste time at the airport I will be very unhappy." He got to the airport 5 minutes before takeoff and made it - he was happy that he hadn't "wasted time." Yes, darling, you are so much like your father.... That is good, the world needs people like you and your father and the rest of us are glad you do the work for us.

marlamuppets said...

gosh you are so darling. i can just see you running like mad! i love that the guy knew you at the counter. totally classic.
ps and you should've gotten a medal for that!

Kaedi said...

Ahhh, so glad to get a good Rachel catch up! You hit my old stomping grounds... love that SF. I keep trying to get back there, but somehow I still wake up in NYC. Inwood, no less. Oh well. Happy travels to you, and be safe! Any plans to hit NYC anytime soon???

Sara said...

Aha!! I knew it was YOUR fault that we missed the plane in Istanbul! I've been (rightly) ignoring the suspicion that it was my quest for the perfect tiny beaded eye braclet!