Monday, January 12, 2009

A Little Bit of Kentucky

Went to hear Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder at the Birchmere Saturday night. I daresay that when we walked in the room, we lowered the median age by about 20 years. We also dropped the median income by about $40,000. And we also ended up at a table across from a couple who spent the evening whispering to each other. And by whispering I mean talking at full volume to each other about how much they liked the show and repeating the names of the songs to each other. The room was swimming with old white people – and one lady who had a white cowboy shirt with an extraordinary fringe and sequined design…

Notwithstanding, the evening was phenomenal. Bluegrass is a favorite – and the stage sung with the kind of harmony that only a mandolin, banjo, gee-tars, fiddle, cello combination can make. I could spend a lifetime sitting in a club, concert hall, restaurant – there’s something magical about the combination of raw voice, piano/guitar/etc. and spotlight. In my next life…

In the words of Ricky Skaggs said, the evening was "stupid good." Press play on the blog widget to the right to hear a little…

5 comments:

Joy said...

Funny, I saw that he was performing there and nearly went by myself, because I couldn't think of anyone I knew who would go with.

Greg and Tammy said...

So glad you are going back to your roots. Feels good, dern't it? :)

I was surprised to hear that you lowered the socioeconomic status of the room? Lots of wealthly people attend bluegrass music? Learn somethin' new everyday.

POOTIE POOTWELL said...

As the old lady "who had a white cowboy shirt with an extraordinary fringe and sequined design" I would like to concur with the conclusions presented by Ricky Skaggs himself and reinforced by this remarkably well-written young lady. The evening was, indeed, stupid good...

Jeff Krebs said...

Rachel,

My sister-in-law (Ashlee's sister Jill) is moving to DC and would like to talk to some people that live there. Can I send her your phone number, and if so, what is your phone number? Also, what is Anna's number?

Don and Robin Cooper said...

How fun for you! I have been there several times with a friend to see her fav, Aaron Neville. Even I am one of the youngest ones there! It is a lot of good clean fun!