
These days I'm traveling to Grand Rapids every week for work. This means I'm spending a lot of time in airports. I used to think that the sorriest place in an airport was the international arrivals hall. Let me explain with a story.
One time I arrived in customs after a 27 hr return trip from Ethiopia. I hadn't showered, brushed my teeth, slept well and by the time I got to customs, I was no longer myself. The US Customs Agent actually looked at my passport photo and then looked at me and then looked back at my photo and asked, "is this you?"
However, I have since decided that the saddest place is actually the taxi line on a Thursday night. You see, the world is full of consultants like me who get on a plane at some godforsaken hour on Monday work all hours until Thursday afternoon upon which they return home and then stand in a taxi line.
With the advent of bad weather I've learned to move at a fast as I can - running from the gate to the taxi stand lest I find myself 15 people back waiting. All of us in our black coats with our laptop bags and rollerboard bags.
2 comments:
This made me die a little inside.
When I went to take the nursing boards they told me, "This doesn't look like you," about my drivers license. I explained, "I didn't get up at five, I put on make up, I brushed my hair, and I'm not wearing glasses". They let me take my boards but only because I had the same finger print. Apparently I had taken a hit from the ugly stick.
Post a Comment