Monday, July 18, 2011

Night Driving

It took two forays out at night to realize what it was that wasn't "right" - there are no lights except for headlights.

Monrovia is a dark city – no central power grid.  Nothing at all lit up unless it comes from a car or generator.

So take a drive back to the hotel with me:


But speaking of darkness at night, I remember my first trip to Africa – to Malawi. The Embassy's Regional Security Officer said, “don’t drive at night outside of Lilongwe.”  I didn’t get it till I had to drive at night – no lights to demark the boundaries of the road, no sidewalks so people walk in the road, no cones to show where roads suddenly drop off into 2 foot deep potholes.

I revisited this conversation in my mind as I drove, at night, to Robertsport:


I finally went to sleep in order to avoid having to deal any longer with the roads, the mysterious people appearing out of the bush (did you see them at minute 1:08 in the video? Nope I didn’t either till we almost hit them), potholes (which we were identifying based on reflection off the water) and otherwise generalized road anxiety.

No comments: