Arrived at the office in Monrovia and found that I needed extra tools to use the facilities - namely, a barrel of water and a bucket.
This is because there is (still) no running water. I finally realize what the tank across the way is for. You see, they used to have running water. But then came the conflict. For 20 years. Charles Taylor destroyed all infrastructure just because. And they haven't yet been able to rebuild. Imagine - you had running water. And then you didn't. For 20 years.
Water coming from your roof makes a normally routine event a different sort of experience
when the flush water is low and you have to pick between a number of
options - all of which are variations on "not ideal".
It also makes you shower a little bit faster.
And think twice before letting the faucet run.
And drink that glass of water to the bottom.
And so on.

1 comment:
All I can say is ewwww
Post a Comment