Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Baksheesh and Other Observations

Baksheesh: n., pl., "a gratuity, tip, or bribe paid to expedite service, especially in some Near Eastern countries", and the UAE is one such country. I'm on my way back on Saturday and if I've learned anything over the last year, it's that baksheesh greases the wheels from top to bottom.

So, I'm bringing some baksheesh back to my clients in the form of gifts for their kids. I picked up Candyland for one client who has three little girls. How can you go wrong with Candyland? Well, I got home and looked at the board game cover and discovered that there is a TART on the boardgame box. What's with those ankles? And the KNEES? Ha, I feel the need to take a black pen to her outfit to cover her up with a Candyland-style abaya before I can hand the game over.

On other notes, exactly 11 years worth of Wednesdays ago I entered the MTC. I recently found this picture taken by the kind folks at the MTC my first day. Here I am, orange dork dot and all. Interestingly enough, I have almost the same haircut right now.

5 comments:

ALYN said...

Wow! I'd forgotten that it was THAT Wednesday. The one where we met! I'm sure glad we did. Although 9 years makes me feel old.

How much longer are you in the UAE? Did you sign up for another tour of duty?

marlamuppets said...

oh yeahhhh!!! MTC picture! how in the world did you find that rachel? :) i love it.
you should've seen my first picture when i arrived to the mission home in riverside - SCARY.
:) merry christmas!

susan said...

That Queen Frostine... what a skank.

Sarah F said...

Happy MTC anniversary! That occurred to me the other day too. Eleven years ago...it was nice to see you there for a combined total of about 10 minutes.
--Garrett

Rachel said...

Garrett - don't forget the "hug of shame". I believe we went down in MTC history for making the entire cafeteria go silent...