Maybe you heard about it? I left my house after the snow stopped thinking this little tool would do the trick.You can see how far I got with the flour jar lid by closely examining the left side of the top of car in the below left picture.
Needless to say, after about 32 seconds of attempting to carve (the only word that seems to fit) snow off the roof (I had every intention of just driving over the snow and letting someone else shovel...) I took the time to procure a shovel. Turns out it is really hard to shovel, not one or two but three cars out of 20 inches of snow...

(Sadly the pictures I took pictures of Car #2 and #3 post-shoveling do not do justice. But please feel free to closely examine the piles of snow behind Car #3, my work - all of it.)
In fact, it takes hours upon hours upon hours upon hours upon hours upon hours upon hours. During my Time of Hard Labor I had time to think about how I so wished I had a child old enough to wield a shovel. I also thought about how I didn't have a future in ditch digging. I also thought about how much I hate winter/cold/snow.
As I finished, I surveyed my work: 3 cars freed and newly created snow piles, the snow warrens, the snow tunnels, and other snow castoffs made with the mountains of snow previously covering the cars.
It was in this moment that I completely and totally identified with the wily folks of inner-city
Chicago. The same ones my mom has told me about from her Chicago days that place chairs, sofas and their children in spots they had shoveled to save them until they return to re-park. Again, I wished for children. And/or the guts to put a couple of folding chairs up in my spot (see above Car #1 picture), or to pee on my spot (as suggested by http://www.yelp.com/).Until 2 days later when I saw this and discovered that apparently there IS a little bit of 'hood in WASPy NOVA. So next time I'll be gutsy and stake my claim with a chair. Or maybe even pee (again, I need children). It will be a 21st century modern day winter wonderland, if you will.
1 comment:
Ah
I remember visiting the house in Cicero that winter and seeing kitchen chairs preserving parking spots excavated from the snow. It was an amazing thing.
We had nada, zippo here in NC. I was even hoping for it.
Sheldon
Post a Comment