Monday, November 7, 2011

Coal = Diamonds


Some time ago I accompanied a herd of small children to a museum.  To be totally honest - it was a mess.  The kids were everywhere.  Accompanying paraphernalia nearly took us out:  strollers, bags, toys, food ... none of which particularly museum-friendly.  I wasn't sure they even remembered going 5 mins after leaving since they were mostly interested in the public transportation that got us there and back.

I called my mom that night and asked her, "is it worth it?/how did you survive with 6?/what kept you going?/ do they even remember later?/is it worth it?/did I ask...is it worth it?"

She explained that it was hard (nay exhausting) but that she had this theory that kids were like coal or peat moss (or whatever it is that creates diamonds or coal or coal into diamonds or diamonds into peat moss ... work with me here...me and science haven't talked since MSTC days) and if she layered layered layered layered (layered...) experiences, that these experiences would compress over time and turn into Something Good.

And so she kept at it - dragging kids, paraphernalia, and self to anything and everything that would create a layer that might broaden and build our world.


As I sat in the National Gallery watching her and Anna take in a Crivelli I was struck with the effort and love it took for her and my dad to parent.  Ever grateful I am for each and every layer they put down--

1 comment: