I sleep with my window open so that I can hear the morning call to prayer. It's too early (5:30am) for me to be in any state of useful consciousness, so something about the combination of my half-awake state and the ethereal sound of the singing seems to draw me to another world. The prayer is so stripped down and sounds so plaintive. It pulls at my heart and it reminds me of living in Jerusalem, another time when I slept with the window open. Sometimes I can hear multiple mosques calling at the same time from different parts of the city - words crossing over each other, it's beautiful. I recorded this clip this morning. It doesn't do justice to the sound of a voice echoing across a nearly silent city, calling the fervent to their knees...
http://www.youtube.com/v/iPe9ypgmuD4
1 comment:
21 seconds is far too short. You make me homesick.
Post a Comment