Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lipstick on a Pig

Last weekend I sorta learned how to change spark plugs. This means that I stood by and watched as a very patient someone gave them the once over.

As I stood in Advance Auto purchasing new plugs, the man behind the counter tried to up-sell me on the mid-range spark plugs. They had fancy copper, I think. And then my friendly auto-mechanic friend reminded me that of the many reasons to not get the more expensive plugs, the most important probably was that getting them was akin to putting "lipstick on a pig." In my mind's eye I pictured my trusty 2000 Saturn: scratched side from that bush, a dented roof from the branch, a popped in bumper from that one fender bender... I opted for the cheaper route.

By the way, I'm fairly certain I could change spark plugs now. It's all about the tools, it seems. A wrench here, a gap thing-y there. The ability to out-confidence the salesman when he suggests a more expensive part. Oh, and remembering to ground oneself before pulling the plug cover-part to avoid serious shock.

4 comments:

ALYN said...

We have a 1999 saturn!

POOTIE POOTWELL said...

I'm totally terrified to change spark plugs now. First of all, it would take nothing at all for them to talk me into the mid-range spark plugs - the shiny copper would fool me for sure. Second - how does one properly ground oneself? A plastic Kroger bag wrapped around the feet?? I need the Girl Garage stat!!

Sarah F said...

I'll be back in DC at some point soon, and I was going to bring my tools and change your spark plugs when I came. Good thing you blogged this.

emerdean said...

Yes, Yes - I had all of my spark plug tools packed in my carry-on, too! So glad some chivalrous soul beat me to the punch!

As long as we are in the barnyard, I have always thought of my utility under a hood as something equivalent to "tits on a bull."

I say: buy a new car when these cumbersome tasks present themselves!

And yes, Pootie, my dear I think the Kroger bag will be exactly what you will need to be sure that your eyes (as well as other strategic parts of your body) light up when you are changing the plugs!