For 5 months I've been on "life hiatus." I left behind all responsibilities and realities and now live in a world were my primary purpose is to work ridiculous hours and make Booz Allen Hamilton that much richer. This week was particularly "rigorous" so when I got home from church yesterday, I packed my bags, checked out of my Abu Dhabi hotel and hopped in a cab headed west. Or south? Possibly east - well, I'm not really sure but it was definitely away.
Four hours later I found myself in Fujairah, a coastal town squeezed between the Hajar mountains and Indian Ocean. After checking into my new hotel and one sidetrip to the pool bar to buy a Galaxy ice cream bar, I found myself wading into the Gulf of Oman as far as I dared before my irrational fear of rip tides and sharks stopped me (so to just above my ankles).
The water was warm, the ice cream cold and the sound of the surf crashing was just loud enough to drown out the call of work for a few sweet moments. (And, luckily, I wasn't carried away by a rogue rip tide to be consumed by a school of killer great white sharks.)
5 comments:
Smart girl to follow the call of the wild before the military industrial complex claims all of your soul. Hope you waded in a little deeper for all of us.
Aaaah - to be able to escape to the beach. Glad the six inches you waded in were wonderful...
Watch out for the MINI great whites! They can swim in less than 6 inches of water.
A little escape sounds good right about now...
I see that the irrational fears I suffered in Spain of hidden sand sharks and currents sweeping me off to France are a family thing. I'm not crazy all alone!
AAaaaaaw. I thought you were BACK back. How did they convince you to let them keep you so long? Maybe the sharks will get you afterall! You stinkin' expatriate!
Post a Comment